Symptoms of Heartburn
Despite its name, heartburn* is actually an irritation of the esophagus that is caused by stomach acid.
The symptoms of heartburn include:
- Burning sensation in the throat after a large meal
- A burning feeling just below the ribs or breastbone after a large meal
- Difficulty swallowing
- Feeling like food is stuck in the middle of your chest or throat
- A burning chest pain while bending over, lying down or eating
What Causes Heartburn?
Pepto is indicated for the treatment of heartburn due to overindulgence in food and drink, some common causes of heartburn include:
- Too much pressure on the stomach (from overeating)
- Eating large portions of dishes high in fats and oils
There are some indulgent foods, when eaten in large quantities that commonly can cause heartburn:
- Greasy foods like French fries
- Hot wings
- Sodas and other carbonated beverages
Believe it or not, chewing gum can actually help provide heartburn relief. When you chew gum, it stimulates the production of saliva, which is a natural acid buffer. Plus, when you chew gum you swallow more often, which pushes acids back out of your esophagus.
While you might have heard that drinking a glass of milk can help temporarily buffer stomach acid, the milk fat can actually stimulate the stomach to produce more acid.
And remember, when home remedies aren’t working, you can rely on Pepto-Bismol to treat heartburn due to overindulgence in food and drink.